A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 01:01:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 00:10 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 03/07/11 23:44, Avi wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> >> yeah, blowing off floppy disks reflects that notion that everyone has
> >> a DVD and fiber optic cable. Ric
> > There's some irony in an untrimmed email complaining about people
> > forgetting that some of us are on dialup :)
>
> Yep, and it isn't a laughing matter.
>
> Back in the "old days" when the Sysop of a BBS had to pay out of his/her
> pocket for the cost of phone calls - often at long distance or timed
> called charges - to collect /send mail it was the accepted practice for
> messages to be trimmed to the bare-bone when replying, for example.
> Everything was done on dial-up with baud speeds at 300, 1200, 2400, 9600
> bps.
>
> But now this is not known to most people and so they clog up the 'net
> with useless horse manure.

I musta missed that when I ran an 8 line BBS... which was kinda unheard
of in the pre-internet days. I passed email to fidonet and never had
someone come down from on-high to tell me our messages were too long.
Heh, being in West Virginia it probably wasn't much of a problem as a
well constructed sentence was rare and a paragraph worth of opinion
totally unheard of. Of course we're talking RURAL WV. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256