Assurance of repositories

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 23:15:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Avi <lists at avi.co> wrote:

> Verde Denim wrote:
>
> > The big question - how can we know that repository addition requests
> > are not wolves-in-waiting?
>
> Well, the same way as you do with any other source of software. Some
> mix of the reputation of whoever is publishing it, accounts from people
> using it and whatever testing you yourself can do.

Cool - so the original question - "Does anyone know of the validity of this
repo?" is a good one which fits in with the statements here.
Also, a little more googling and I find that sevensystems is a launchpad
site, so it could be (at least peripherally) be considered to be known-good.

> What's wrong with the flashplugin-installer package in the standard
> repos?

Checking the repo version, it is the stable release but is 32-bit. The
latest version from Adobe ('square') has native 64 bit support, although it
is marked as 'bleeding edge'. So far, though, it seems to be working well.