text to speech program

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Sun Jul 3 22:35:17 UTC 2011

I'm looking for a decent text to speech program.  I've tried E-Speak in
the repository and I find it to be somewhat lacking.  You can't stop in
the middle of a text file and resume later where you left.  The "voice"
use is OK but If it could be changed would be nice.  Also, one text
file I am using it to read is a story.  Is there a program out there
that allows you use multiple "voices".  Mmultiple voices could be nice
but,  I realize this is probably not possible.  How would the program
know which "voice" to use?u

I can program and maybe I could alter an existing program to recognize
certain annotations in the text file to determine which "voice" to use?
  Of course I would need the source code if I were to make the
modifications.  It would take a lot of time but being retired, I have a
lot of free time.

Bill Stanley