Deja Vu all over again!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 16:29:42 UTC 2011

On 3 July 2011 17:24, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/11 09:46, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Provide some objective evidence to the contrary. If this does not
>> exist, then Occam's Razor applies.
>
> I think you should learn a bit about physics and cosmology and then come
> back and argue for or against it once you understand it a bit more. And
> no, I'm not claiming I'm an expert in either field, yes I know quite a
> bit (well not compared to them) but it's not my field and I will never
> know anything that will closely compare to these guys. So let me lead
> off with all I need to say which is something he said.
>
> ---
>
> Victor Stenger said it better then I could ever say it:
>
> The existence of many universes is consistent with all we know about
> physics and cosmology (Smith 1990, Smolin 1992, 1997, Linde 1994,
> Tegmark 1997). Some theologians and scientists dismiss the notion as a
> gross violation of Occam's razor(see, for example, Swinburne 1990). It
> is not. No new hypothesis is needed to consider multiple universes. In
> fact, it takes an added hypothesis to rule them out-- a super law of
> nature that says only one universe can exist. But we know of no such
> law, so we would violate Occam's razor to insist on only one universe.
> Another way to express this is with lines from T. H. White's The Once
> and Future King: "Everything not forbidden is compulsory."
>
> ---
>
> Nice try though, nice try.

Firstly, your quote vindicates me.

Secondly, the existence or not of other universes has no bearing on
this one. It is not germane to the discussion about the nature of
reality in *this* universe & to the specious claims of various mystics
& other frauds as to whether their quack cures & claimed powers work.

And none of this has any bearing on Ubuntu.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com