A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Jul 3 14:25:24 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 08:07 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 03/07/11 08:00, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> How about the hinterland of rural SW Missouri, USA (a subsection
>> of was referred to as "fly over country" in a presidential
>> election ;/ {PS hogs and cattle each outnumber humans and all
>> swamped by chickens *lol*}
>
> Can't blame the cows for that :P I live to the SW of you in Kansas where
> cows outnumber us 10 to 1 and roll in and out faster than you can count
> them but we still have broadband>.<  actually we have competing
> broadband because ATT and Verizon are both trying to step in and compete
> here now with Cox.  Should move down here, Cox will lie to you and say
> you're gonna get 30Mbps but you really get 50Mbps.

Here in rural central Oklahoma we don't have access to DSL or cable.
Tried satellite internet and that sucked because of the time lag. Our
dial up speeds run about 30kbs on a *good* day and about 26kbs on
average. Luckily we have two wireless broadband providers in our area
that I "rent" tower space to for free internet service [ also a ham
radio operator and have two towers up ]. I also supply the electricity
to run their equipment and have a backup generator for emergencies. Both
providers have about an average of 7Mbs download speeds. Biggest
headache is finding servers that can actually send it down that fast.

--
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb."     - Benjamin Franklin -