Firefox Alternative

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 3 04:09:00 UTC 2011

On 02/07/11 21:46, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/02/2011 12:54 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 02/07/11 15:07, ANDY wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:wayward4now at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think what will work better, is by using the
>>> major addons. If you use something obscure, then there may be
>>> problems.
>>>

>>> I have ~40 extensions. ~10 of those were disabled by Firefox 5 and
>>> half of those I use very regularly.
>>>
>>> If I'm going to lose a quarter of my extensions every other month, how
>>> exactly is Mozilla's rapid release innovation helping my productivity
>>> as a user?
>>

>> You have "~40 extensions"?!
>>
>> It's a wonder that your Firefox works at all.
>>
>> Could you please list all these extensions which you have in Firefox?
>>
>> I can't help but be curious....perhaps I am missing out on something
>> here with having only 8 extensions - and I would like to know what I am
>> missing out on.
>>
>> (BTW, the extensions I have are:
>>
>> Adblock Plus
>> BetterPrivacy
>> Brief
>> DownloadHelper
>> DownThemAll!
>> Ghostery
>> NoScript
>> Screengrab.)
>>

>> BC
>>

> I guess I'm a real piker. I only have three.
>
> Foxclocks
> Forecastfox
> Download Helper.
>
> Most of the time I don't really need Download Helper.

But you have no security-orientated extensions. You must be a very brave
man indeed :-) .

I have the equivalent of 'foxclocks' where they are more useful, namely
in Thunderbird where I can see who is awake or who is asleep. In
Firefox, who cares? :-) .

Forecastfox - I have no need as I have access to our Bureau of
Meteorology (BOM) which gives me all the info I need with a simple click
or two :-) .

DownloadHelper - yes, only ever used when I want to capture some YouTube
file otherwise never used.

But I do find DownTehmAll! an absolute must because until recently the
standard file downloaded in Firefox could not resume from the point
where a connection was lost, and the download had to be started from the
very beginning. Firefox's downloader now does resume from where it was
interrupted but I still prefer DownThemAll! because it uses multiple
channels (I use 5) to download a file, and of course it resumes from
where the download was interrupted.

I use many RSS feeds so have Brief installed (although there is a
plethora of similar readers) and I have Screengrab to be able to grab
the contents of an article or whatever I may be reading for future
reference.

There is some method in my madness - not much, but some :-) .

BC

--
I guess reality is what you make of it.