*LOL* !!!Re: A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 02:29:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 15:51 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:

> >> You, *AND* others, optimize wrong parameter ;/
> >> I've a LARGE powerful ???????
> >> choke-point is download bandwidth ;\
> >>

> > I went looking at the Ubuntu website but didn't find it.
> >
> > Isn't there someplace you can request a CD be sent for free or for the
> > cost of mailing?
> >
> > All I saw on the Ubuntu pages was how to order packs of five or more.
> >
> > Might have to wait a bit for it to arrive via snail-mail but it beats
> > the download chokepoint.
> >

> You just proved I don't communicate well ;/
>
> IMHO what's on distro CD is at least order of magnitude TOOOOO
> bloated

Ever tried it? You can tell it what packages to install - minimal and
what packages not to install. I think that's everyone's confusion. Are
you STUCK at 50 megs worth of harddrive or 50 megs worth of daily
download allotment? With my Hughesnet Satellite if I wait until 2AM I
have unlimited traffic until 5AM. Or, have you made a barroom bet that
you can have an OS that will fit within 50 megs?

It might help if you could provide some rationale for your needs. But,
Geoworks might be just what you need. Install DOS and then install Geos
on top. It would run like it's on fire, on a modern computer. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256