A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 02:21:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 15:22 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/02/2011 03:01 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:

> >> And I thought all of those 40 megabyte drives went to Canada to die. :)
> >> Ric
> >>

> > You, *AND* others, optimize wrong parameter ;/
> > I've a LARGE powerful ???????
> > choke-point is download bandwidth ;\

You and me both, that's why I spring for $8 at OnDisk.com and purchase
the DVD ...not some crummy CD worth of install, but a chock full DVD
loaded with everything they can shoe horn onto their disk. This ain't
the vanilla Ubuntu DVD either. This puppy is FULL!

Once you're installed, crank up synaptic and check the box using the DVD
as a source, leaving it in your DVD drive. You'll install a bunch of
packages without once going to the net. I can install all of the KDE
packages without making my sat modem blink once. Low bandwidth = the
only way to go. Man, save yourself the grief.

Install Ubuntu 10.4 LTS which is still rock-solid, for just getting
started. 10.10 is also good and solid. 11.4 = iffy, depending on your
hardware. Me, I have nothing to cry about while still using 10.4. Plus,
their version is a re-spin, meaning the significant updates are already
on it. For $8 you can't go wrong. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256