A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Avi lists at avi.co
Sat Jul 2 19:56:08 UTC 2011

Richard Owlett wrote:
> > What do you mean by Debian compatible, though?
>
> Two things:
>    1. look and feel - admitedly vague terms

So you'd also like a Gnome (or at least Gnome-like) desktop
environment? Something that shares a look and feel with Gnome (the
default DE for Debian) is going to cost more than 50MB.

>    2. using "Debian" update/dependency protocols
>       {I've read enough to I _suspect_ they would be preferable
>        to RPM equivalents}

dpkg is the system that allow software to be distributed in .deb
packages (apt builds on top of it to sort out the less-manual
dependency resolution and automatic getting of them from repositories).

>   >Just DFSG friendly?
>
> And "DFSG" means what? ????

Debian Free Software Guidelines. The first result for the initialism on
Google gives something of an explanation:

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

> W-E-L-L-L-L
>    Tiny Core Linux
>      { http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html
>      claims fully functional at ~10 MB }

It's different versions of 'fully'. TCL has no package management,
and ships with incredibly few apps installed. To get close to what
you're after (with package management and gnome-alike UI) you're going
to add more than 50MB to that.

> IIRC Win 3.1 had a competitor ~1979 which ran ontop of MS-DOS.
>
> Can't modern *nix do better?

For certain definitions of 'better', yes. But sub-50MB size
competitions haven't been in vogue for some time, so there's not huge
amounts of effort expended in that direction.

I think the biggest problem you're going to find is less to do with the
size of the OS on initial install, and more that to add all the bits
that you want will cost way more than 50MB. Ubuntu's not at all a
particularly lightweight OS, but that's not to say there's space taken
up just to get up to the size of a CD or DVD image.

--
Avi