[OT] 20 years of linux

eschamp eschamp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 18:39:43 UTC 2011

Basil Chupin has written on 7/2/2011 2:35 AM:
> On 02/07/11 15:57, NoOp wrote:
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th/
>

> Is this now officially recognised that by simply adding [OT] at the
> beginning of the Subject of a post to this list that one can post
> "offtopic" messages in this list?

I don't think there's anything official, but it seems to be common
courtesy to prepend OT to a message that is only peripherally related to
Ubuntu. Anything linux would seem to qualify as this is the
gmane.LINUX.ubuntu.user newsgroup.

> Oh, and provided, of course, such posts have some contents dealing with
> software which may or may not affect Linux and /or a Linux distro.

I would draw the line at that. I would think that has to be some
relationship with Linux.

> If this is now an officially accepted practice then I would have liked
> to have posted quite a number of messages drawing members' attention to
> matters of interest as it may affect their, or friend's, use of a computer.

Doesn't seem like they would be appropriate unless they were Linux-related.

But I'm not the arbiter.