A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat Jul 2 16:14:43 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 10:49 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly
> "tongue in cheek".
>
> I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum tubes and
> 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and perspectives
> pointed me to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of Linux. I downloaded
> the .iso of a 'live cd' (10.?) which I found "bloated". The user
> experience was ok, though I'm not sure if the good features I saw were
> Ubuntu specific or due to Debian heritage.
>
> A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I understand
> that connectivity using a USB modem will have it's issues, but that is
> one time problem. I have very limited access to a wide-band connection
> at another location with my laptop.
>
> The desired distro shall only have:
> kernel
> GUI
> minimal browser
> simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}
> what's required to download/update apps
> the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system
>
> The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of which
> I never used)

You can install the Minimal install cd, then add packages that you want
for GUI etc.  But I think your expectation of being smaller than 3.1
(let alone significantly) is going to be disappointed.  My modules
folder alone, (which comes with a full kernel install) is over 100MB.
You'll need specialty micro distros with stripped down packages (ex,
kernels with as few modules compiled as possible) and probably no
package management to achieve that.