A "green" distro of Ubuntu?

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 15:51:06 UTC 2011

2011/7/2 Richard Owlett <rowlett at pcnetinc.com>:
> Though Kermit might disagree, the subject line is ONLY slightly "tongue in
> cheek".
>
> I'm a Windows(tm) user tired of *BLOAT* who remembers vacuum tubes and
> 026's. An internet acquaintance knowing my needs and perspectives pointed me
> to Ubuntu as an appropriate version of Linux. I downloaded the .iso of a
> 'live cd' (10.?) which I found "bloated". The user experience was ok, though
> I'm not sure if the good features I saw were Ubuntu specific or due to
> Debian heritage.
>
> A *major constraint* is I'm restricted to dial-up access. I understand that
> connectivity using a USB modem will have it's issues, but that is one time
> problem. I have very limited access to a wide-band connection at another
> location with my laptop.
>
> The desired distro shall only have:
> kernel
> GUI
> minimal browser
> simple text editor {notepad suffices for >90% of my needs}

Isn't Gedit simple enough…?

> what's required to download/update apps
> the *minimum* of other software to make an operable system
>
> The result should be significantly smaller than Win 3.1 {most of which I
> never used)

I would suggest Puppy Linux. It's small and it's fast, since the whole
operating system is loaded to RAM. The ISO file (version 5.2.5) is
127.8 MiB (133.9·10⁶ bytes). Is that small enough?
I haven't tried it since a year ago or maybe two, but I remember that
it was very fast back then. Hopefully the new version is fast enough.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ