Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Sat Jul 2 13:56:18 UTC 2011

This is a long thread and I have not read all replies;  But I did go
looking for alternatives.  Most useful was this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions

Although I did install and test several of these. My solution to an
alternative for Ubuntu was Xubuntu.  Ha! Xubuntu has everything I must
have:  easy installation of nVidia drivers, Apt, Synaptic, Gnome apps
(esp. Terminal and GEdit);  All with a minimalist desktop.  I also
installed Rox-filer, which I have always loved.  So have a ball with
Gnome3 and KDE4.  I am insulated from bothersome change.