Firefox Alternative

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 2 05:40:17 UTC 2011

On 07/01/2011 10:07 PM, ANDY wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I think what will work better, is by using the
>> major addons. If you use something obscure, then there may be problems.
>>

> I have ~40 extensions.  ~10 of those were disabled by Firefox 5 and half of
> those I use very regularly.
>
> If I'm going to lose a quarter of my extensions every other month, how
> exactly is Mozilla's rapid release innovation helping my productivity as a
> user?

Perhaps nntp://mozilla.support.firefox via Thunderbird or SeaMonkey
(both handle nntp well) might be a better place to look?

Other resources:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/home
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other%20Firefox%20support

Note: most extension can be easily modified to accomodate the most
recent versions. ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profilename>/extensions/ and modify
the install.rdf file to add the newer version. Example:

    <!-- Firefox -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>3.5</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>4.0b3pre</em:maxVersion>

Modify '<em:maxVersion>4.0b3pre</em:maxVersion>' to
<em:maxVersion>5.0.*</em:maxVersion>

and generally it will work. If it doesn't, then contact the extension
provider and ask them to update accordingly. If they refuse, then trash
the extension as it's no longer worth your time & effort. Remember that
Mozilla generally doesn't provide the extensions, the extension provider
does.