more on T'bird [SOLVED]

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 1 13:59:39 UTC 2011

On 11-06-30 11:13 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 07:07 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

>>> I am running Tbird 3.1.11 x86_64 edition and I have both https&  http
>>> set to "use Firefox".  I can automatically open either one in Firefox
>>> with no problems.
>>>
>>> I have these settings in about:config:
>>>
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.http;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>> network.protocol-handler.app.https;/home/me/firefox/firefox
>>>
>>> if that helps.
>>>
>>> Regards,  Jim
>>>

>>    The really strange thing is when I created those
>> setttings , and set them to /usr/bin/firefox they did
>> nothing at all. I found the suggestion to create them
>> on the mozilla forum. Then I accidentally clicked
>> on the https link at the bottom of some mail, and it worked, but only
>> for https. I then went into T'birds preferences attachments, and saw
>> it was set to run Firefox. I then added http also set to run
>> Firefox and it worked. So I still don't know for sure what
>> controls what in Thunderbird:)
>> Can you check you T'bird preferences attachments and see what's in
>> there-I am curious.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean here but if you mean the settings for
> http & https both say "use Firefox".  If that's not what you need let me
> know and I will try to provide what you need.

   Yes, that's what I thought. I think these settings in about:config

network.protocol-handler.app.ftp;/home/me/firefox/firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.http;/home/me/firefox/firefox
network.protocol-handler.app.https;/home/me/firefox/firefox

don't do anything. I have since found out they worked in versions of
Thunderbird prior to the 3.0 series but do no longer work, at least
that's what people in the forums say. The key controlling mechanism in
current Thunderbirds is the preference/attachments config.

--
Cheers
Frank