only scan as root

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 31 20:54:23 UTC 2011

I found some instructions to get a Canon LiDE 200 scanner working on Lucid.  http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161276&page=2
It has sorted of worked. I have everything installed and if I run xsane or simple-scan as root it will run, but as a user it fails to detect a scanner. The solutions I have found online say to add users to saned and scanner groups. I don't have a scanner group. I also found a solution that suggested I also tried to change permissions
with chmod a+w /dev/bus/usb/002/007 since lsusb shows that is the bus and device for the scanner but no luck there either. Any ideas on how I can get the scanner to work without running it as root?
          Thanks
          Linda