Programs Not Listed in "Applications"

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 02:50:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM, PJH <pjh42 at pobox.com> wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi has written on 1/30/2011 7:08 PM:
>> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM, PJH <pjh42 at pobox.com> wrote:
>>> 1) How do I run a program that the Synaptic Program Manager tells me is
>>> installed if it is not listed under Applications?
>>>
>>> 2) How can I modify the contents of "Applications"?
>>

>> 1 - Please report what program is this and how did you install it.
>
> It was already installed. fancontrol is one example, although that will
> run from the command line but fail because it /etc/fancontrol
> configuration does not exist.

fancontrol is part of lm-sensors, please check:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/ProjectInformation for information on
this and other tools.

You can find fancontrol man page at:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/man/fancontrol , please read the
warning:

"WARNING

Please be careful when using the fan control features of your
mainboard, in addition to the risk of burning your CPU, at higher
temperatures there will be a higher wearout of your other hardware
components, too. So if you plan to use these components in 50 years,
maybe you shouldn't use fancontrol at all. Also please keep in mind
most fans aren't designed to be powered by a PWMed voltage. "

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/