Network Setup

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 30 02:53:19 UTC 2011

On 01/29/2011 05:15 PM, Joe Bissett wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> I'm not worried about the W98 box unless I somehow lose it again from
> the network.  All I need is to be able to move many genealogy files from
> the W98 to the XP, and right now I can do that.
>
> On 1/29/2011 6:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Let's concentrate on WinXP as Win98 is in a box deep in the garage. This
>> sounds as if the Ubuntu box isn't broadcasting it's network share. Can
>> you try a few commands on the U box to check? Open a terminal&  please
>> provide the ouput of:
>>
>> $ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
>> $ findsmb
>> $ apt-cache policy samba
> I am working on the XP box.  Here is the file from the Ubuntu box that I
> saved in "test", and dragged / dropped it into Notepad to clean up the
> CR/LFs.
>
> joe at joe-XPST450:~$ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
> Unknown parameter encountered: "netbios"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "netbios"
> WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
> Enter joe's password:
> protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

> joe at joe-XPST450:~$

$ sudo apt-get install smbclient

> /////Note: we added netbios to the smb.conf file because it was found in
> another smb.conf.  It does nothing.  I just have not removed it yet,
> although my friend told me to do so.

Can you post your smb.conf file to:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
[edit/modify anything sensitive - but note that you have done this &
only post the URL link to the result]

> joe at joe-XPST450:~$ findsmb
>
>                                  *=DMB
>                                  +=LMB
> IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME     WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
> 192.168.2.100   JOE-XPST450   +[MSHOME] [Unix] [Samba 3.5.4]
> 192.168.2.101   JOEDELL530     [    MSHOME        ]
> 192.168.2.101   JOEDELL530     [    MSHOME        ]
> joe at joe-XPST450:~$
>
> /////Note: 2.100 is the Ubuntu box; 2.101 is the XP box.

So Ubuntu is seeing the xp box yet you don't see it when in Nautilus and
'Go|Network|Windows Network'? Do you have shared folders on the WinXP
machine? I suppose you do as you mention that the folders can be shared
between winxp and win98, but just checking.