slightly OT concerning pdf's

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jan 29 21:11:06 UTC 2011

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 20:44 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> > > The
> > > simple pdf's that I create, using OO, never fail to load and
> > > display correctly. Since I don't have a Windows machine, I have
> > > no clue what causes this. Ric
> >
> > Did you check them with a Windows machine? Maybe they only look
> > right on your Linux machine but not on a Windows machine.
>
> Thanks for the reply! It's the other way around, it displays better
> on a Windows machine and apparently prints OK.

Oh, I think I didn't write clearly what I meant. I wanted to know if
those pdfs you create with OO / Linux display correctly on a Windows
machine.

> But, on my machine, I
> was seeing a space in the banner text, in the words "Initiative" and
> "Publication" to look like I nitiative and P ublication. Give it a
> whirl with several different readers. My goal is that it would
> display correctly using any reader.
> http://www.communitysuccess.org/sites/default/files/u6/newsletterjanu
> ary2011l.pdf
>
> A Windows running friend of mine reported back that on the last page
> he got a pop up to install Eastern Asian fonts to display this page
> correctly. Just plain weird. I'm waiting to hear back from my pointy
> hair boss just what they created this page with, with no small
> amount of Fear and Loathing. <chuckles> Ric

Hehe, I didn't get a popup - neither with Windows nor with Linux. But I
got the same wrong display of "Initiative" and "Publication" that you
see, even with Windows. That is of course because I don't have those
fancy fonts installed on Windows. I think you should persuade your PHB
to change the settings of the BCLeasyPDF to embed all fonts. Do you need
a screen shot how it looks like with Adobe reader on Windows without
those fance fonts installed?

Nils