Restoring legacy components

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sat Jan 29 20:09:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:44:00 +0800, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ha! Yes, definitely old now. I have spent some time trying to get a
> couple of versions of Bluecurve to install & be usable on Ubuntu, but
> I have always failed.

What I did was to save some of the desktop themes I liked and I reuse them
when a new version comes up. Yes, like you, I disliked the oxygen theme
and I had been rehashing my desktop with each successive versions. However
there are tons of kde downloads, including wallpapers that you can select
from. Again I don't do that much. But I remember a nice free wallpaper
site http://www.vladstudio.com/home/  which you may like.

> My greater question, though, you did not touch upon. How come Kubuntu,
> as one of the main, dominant, officially-sanctioned remixes of Ubuntu,
> does not have (a version of) the same themes as Ubuntu proper? Same
> goes for Xubuntu, too.

I guess only the developers can answer this question, but I can surmise
that they wanted to have a distinct identity. The plymouth splash are also
different. Again, this doesn't bother me much. It is good enough to know
that I can use whatever repository I choose, even outside ubuntu's and
have the dependencies taken care of. Can't say that for many non-debian
linuxes.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Growing old is mandatory