Restoring legacy components

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:36:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 18:31 -0500, Doug wrote:
>> > I have been trying KDE again in the last couple of days. So many
>> > people on Sounder say it's better than GNOME.
>> >
>> > I installed a fresh copy of the latest SUSE, OpenSUSE 11.3, on a spare PC.
>> >
>> > It's sluggish, but then, I have long felt SUSE was rather lardy...
>> >
>> > But recent playing-around with PC-BSD 8.1 led me to think that one of
>> > my niggles with KDE4 had gone away: that horrible floating "desktop"
>> > window. KDE 4.5 in PC-BSD has actual desktop icons, finally restoring
>> > basic 1984-level functionality to KDE4.
>> >
>> > Not on OpenSUSE, though.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to set KDE4 to show icons on the actual bl$%dy desktop
>> > and not in some wretched floating plasmoid
>> > sort-of-filer-window-but-not-quite thing? I do not like all the cr$ppy
>> > floating gadgets or plasmoids or plasmids or whatever they're called -
>> > frankly, I'd like to just turn them off altogether, but I don't think
>> > that's possible. The default icon theme in SUSE KDE 4.4 is also crass,
>> > ugly and as childishly amateur-looking as ever, but that is probably
>> > fixable.
>> >
>> > I Googled it but the advice - pretty poorly-worded and vague as it was
>> > - said right-click in various places and then to either choose menus
>> > that don't exist or to go into a dialog box and choose options that
>> > don't exist.
>> >
>> > I'd like to like KDE, honest I would. I was a big fan of KDE1. But 4
>> > just repels me on sight.

>> If you'd like a reasonable KDE using Linux rather than BSD, look at
>> PCLinuxOs--
>> it has KDE 4.4.5, I believe, and you can have all the icons you want, and
>> nothing floats.  There's even a way to get rid of the bull on the desktop
>> while retaining the density gradations across the screen--you'd have to
>> look
>> in the forum archives.  IIRC, look for "no bull".
>
> Maybe Mark should just buy them and put them onto Kubuntu. It's a
> thought. :) Ric

We could do with some more consolidation!

I reckon Red Hat should buy Mandriva and the PCLinuxOS chap and put
them in charge of Fedora. Make it the consumer offering with a free OS
and inexpensive support.

Xandros used to have a good desktop Linux too, but they just sell
server software now, AFAICT. Perhaps they should absorb Mepis and
revive their desktop. *The* best KDE implementation ever, since the
days of Corel LinuxOS.

Although the only company to make KDE look attractive was Red Hat with
the Bluecurve theme. Same theme on GNOME and KDE - it looked great.
How come Ubuntu and Kubuntu can't coordinate like that?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com