Restoring legacy components

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Jan 28 23:31:31 UTC 2011

On 01/28/2011 07:51 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM, Goh Lip<g.lip at gmx.com>  wrote:
>> /snip/
> I have been trying KDE again in the last couple of days. So many
> people on Sounder say it's better than GNOME.
>
> I installed a fresh copy of the latest SUSE, OpenSUSE 11.3, on a spare PC.
>
> It's sluggish, but then, I have long felt SUSE was rather lardy...
>
> But recent playing-around with PC-BSD 8.1 led me to think that one of
> my niggles with KDE4 had gone away: that horrible floating "desktop"
> window. KDE 4.5 in PC-BSD has actual desktop icons, finally restoring
> basic 1984-level functionality to KDE4.
>
> Not on OpenSUSE, though.
>
> Is it possible to set KDE4 to show icons on the actual bl$%dy desktop
> and not in some wretched floating plasmoid
> sort-of-filer-window-but-not-quite thing? I do not like all the cr$ppy
> floating gadgets or plasmoids or plasmids or whatever they're called -
> frankly, I'd like to just turn them off altogether, but I don't think
> that's possible. The default icon theme in SUSE KDE 4.4 is also crass,
> ugly and as childishly amateur-looking as ever, but that is probably
> fixable.
>
> I Googled it but the advice - pretty poorly-worded and vague as it was
> - said right-click in various places and then to either choose menus
> that don't exist or to go into a dialog box and choose options that
> don't exist.
>
> I'd like to like KDE, honest I would. I was a big fan of KDE1. But 4
> just repels me on sight.
>
>> /snip/

If you'd like a reasonable KDE using Linux rather than BSD, look at
PCLinuxOs--
it has KDE 4.4.5, I believe, and you can have all the icons you want, and
nothing floats.  There's even a way to get rid of the bull on the desktop
while retaining the density gradations across the screen--you'd have to
look
in the forum archives.  IIRC, look for "no bull".

--doug