10.04.1 LTS install with RAID support?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 22:03:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 16:37, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just gone through an mdadm install in a VirtualBox VM without a
> hitch from the server iso.
>
> Zeroing the metadata should have allowed you to be at the same state
> as my blank VM disks! If not, mdadm and/or dmraid are buggy...

One thing to remember is that some fakeRAID setups store their
metadata near the end of the disk rather than at the beginning, so
that could have been a contributing factor here...

and IIRC, both mdadm and dmraid have issues when the metadata is in
that end-of-disk area instead of toward the beginning where other RAID
setups store their metadata...