Choosing a new printer/all-in-one

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 15:14:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 12:00 +0000, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:44:23 +0100, Leo Noordhuizen wrote:
>
> > In another thread I asked about the support for Canon printers in Linux.
> > Specifically of the iP4500 printer.
> > As it turns out the support isnt as wished for, and as the printer is
> > starting to make 'funny' noises, is getting  a bit old, AND it seems to
> > consume ink like an alcoholic,
> > It may be time to replace my iP 4500 and Scanjet G3010 (which is taking
> > up too much place for the little use it gets anyway) by one of those
> > All-in-ones...
> >
> > Now the big questions is which one should I go for....
> >
> > My wishlist:
> >
> >    - Double-sided printing, as silent as possible, with a reasonable
> >    speed and of course good quality
> >    - Occasionally printing a photo
> >    - Good Linux support
> >    - Occasionally scanning (and possibly printing) (multi-color) text -
> >    Preferably the scanner use LED instead of the time-consuming older
> >    means of lighting the original
> >    - Of course low ink cost ( :) )
> >    - Nice to have: printing on CD and DVD
> >
> > Canon has a unit which seems to fullfil this list quite nicely, apart
> > from the Linux support, so that wouldnt be my first choice.
> >
> > Of course there is also the question of availability, price and
> > resulting quality of prints when using third party ink. I know that the
> > price difference between original and third party ink can be a factor of
> > 3...
> >
> > Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/PIXMA/index.asp might
> help.
>
> Good luck!
>
>     -Frans

To check if any printer is going to work well with Linux, go to

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

If the printer is not reported in its database as working 'Perfectly',
or, at least, 'Mostly', then you are going to have a struggle to use all
its features in Linux.  So when you have found a printer that says it
does all you want it to do, check it out at that site to see if it does
it with Linux.

Tony