10.04.1 LTS install with RAID support?

Alan Pope popey at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 28 01:33:18 UTC 2011

On 28 January 2011 01:13, Steve Malenfant <smalenfant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've searched, I've tried and I failed.
> How can you install Ubuntu Desktop with 2 drives in RAID-1 using soft RAID?

Two options.

1) Boot from Live USB stick to desktop CD image and once booted to the
desktop issue 'sudo apt-get install mdadm' in a terminal and go
through the RAID configuration manually via the mdadm command. Then
start the installer and install onto the md0 you created.

2) Use unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick out of the alternate or
netinst iso images. Contrary to popular opinion, this does work. I've
got a server at home that was installed from a USB stick made in this
way :)

> I also want my machine to boot if 1 of the drive fails.

You'll need to manually install grub on both disks, and ensure you
keep that up to date when the kernel gets updated.

Cheers,
Al.