LibreOffice - pros & cons with Meerkat

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 26 17:51:31 UTC 2011

On 01/25/2011 11:49 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> Libreoffice .deb release from the main site installs at /opt, side by
> side with OO, but in my Maverick 64
> failed to create shortcuts on Aplications/Office.

You needed to install the libreoffice3.3-debian-menus_3.3-6_all.deb
in
/LibO_3.3.0rc4_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration

> Libreoffice from the PPA, 1:3.3.0~rc4-1 (the only active repo I found
> for Mav.) indeed demands removal of regular OpenOffice (in fact
> Go-Oo). Nevertheless, once installed it seems to work well.

$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

Works for me. That way I can compare against OOo standard, OOo-dev, and
Ubuntu OOo. No issues at all in running in parallel and/or all at the
same time. Only thing I do is modify the bootsraprc file in
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/
to put he standard OOo in ~/.openoffice.org3/3/ rather than
~/.openoffice.org/3/

$ cat bootstraprc
[Bootstrap]
BaseInstallation=${OOO_BASE_DIR}
InstallMode=<installmode>
ProductKey=OpenOffice.org 3.2
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice.org3/3
[ErrorReport]
ErrorReportPort=80
ErrorReportServer=report.services.openoffice.org

Modify this line to look the same:
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.openoffice.org3/3

Your profile for standard OOo with then be in /.openoffice.org3/3 and
your (U)OOo will remain in /.openoffice.org/3

Natty has LibreOffice as default:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=libreoffice
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice

Note that Natty is still Alpha & not recommended for production.