LibreOffice - pros & cons with Meerkat

David Nelson commerce at traduction.biz
Wed Jan 26 07:28:26 UTC 2011

Hi, :-)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 14:22, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 17:08, Brian Clarkson wrote:
>>
>> 1. It was your post that alerted me to the availability of LibreOffice
>> (previously  I was unaware of it)./
>> /
>> 2. the next URL and the following one both suggest the need to remove Open
>> Office before installing LibreOffice:

It is not *necessary* to remove OpenOffice.org before installing
LibreOffice. They can currently happily exist side by side.

>> I have no idea how credible these URL´s are but I couldn´t find much
>> guidance on the LibreOffice website that meant much to me.  I liked their
>> enthusiasm but wasn´t sure how to rate it.
>>
>> Brian/
>
> But if you have a look you will find that both articles were written many
> days ago (one is 5 January and the other 12 January) - when LO was a
> (?)Beta.
>
> The URL I provided points you to the LO site which gives you all the
> up-to-date information on how to install LO on your system (be it Ubuntu et
> al, or Windows, or MAC). All the information is there :-) : one is not
> spoon-fed but one does need to spend a bit of time reading the instructions

As one of the guys working on the http://libreoffice.org website, I
just wanted to say that we'll be updating the Linux installation
instructions.

The writing of those instructions was complicated by the attempt to
cover multiple Linux distribs (I was the guy that wrote them). I'll be
looking at a way to improve that content as soon as I get time.

We'd welcome any help and involvement from anybody willing to
contribute time and work on this... ;-)

As a full-time Ubuntu user, I'm really happy that LibreOffice is in
the repos now. Thanks for this. :-)

David Nelson