Strong encryption

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 25 04:26:50 UTC 2011

On 25/01/2011 10:08, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 04:11:51PM -0700, Doug Robinson wrote:
>> Does anybody have a feel for the problems associated with
>> distributing software that employs Strong Encryption.
>>
>> I have looked around and there is a number of good things
>> out there but I wonder if the US Feds are still throwing
>> hissie fits every time this stuff appears in public?
> They probably are but since Phil Zimmermann, the creator of PGP,
> beat them in court I don't think you have too much to worry about.
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Note: I am *not* a lawyer and the above is *not* legal advice.

There was an article recently about a person who was placed in jail for
contempt of court because he refused to provide the "authorities" his
encryption key to the data on his computer. I cannot remember in which
country this occurred whether it was USA, or Australia, or Britain :-( .
(I *think* that the article was on BBC Online but I am not sure.)

But in the same article it came out that, say, in the USA you MUST
provide your encryption key on demand by "the spooks" if they feel that
you are being 'naughty' and trying to act like a 'terrorist' (and of
course all Americans it seems are 'terrorists' as they are under
surveillance by at least 3 'spook' organisations :-) ).

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.