Mounting ISO [RESOLVED]

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 01:36:41 UTC 2011

On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:48 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> A. Jorge Garcia wrote:
>> Well, actually, I think I'm reinstalling the Lab this week with
>> Ubuntu 10.10 32bit Desktop edition. Its Midterm Week, so I can get
>> some stuff done in there without peeps in my hair all day! I'm
>> thinking of downgrading from 64bit to 32bit as I've been running
>> 64bit for a year now and see no real benefit. However, I do find it
>> difficult to install certain utilities such as flash and java in
>> Firefox. So, I downloaded the 32bit ISO for Ubuntu and the 32bit
>> binaries for SAGE. I'll try to install SAGE as you suggest after
>> reinstalling Ubuntu.
>
> Maybe you should reconsider the Ubuntu version you are going to >
install.
> There is a sage binary for 10.04.1 but not for 10.10, so I suppose
the
> sage install would be easier with 10.04.1 instead of 10.10. OTOH, the
> 10.04 binary may run on 10.10 but I didn't try that.

Finally, all is well in my PC Classroom! I did not need SAGE CDs or
SAGE ISOs in a bootable partition after all.

Actually, I reinstalled all my Desktops using the 32bit Ubuntu 10.10
CD. Then I added the 32bit SAGE binary and wrote an executable script
to start SAGE notebook that is called as a Startup Application. I also
set the Desktop to boot without the login screen so the kids need not
know the root passwd. In this way, the SAGE notebook() pops right up on
boot up and the kids are ready to go!

Now, all I have to do is figure out how to setup a private SAGE server
once I get some new server hardware. Maybe there's someway to do this
with the same binaries?

Thanx for all your help!

Regards,
A. Jorge Garcia