IPv6 - how do I get ready?

Harry Strongburg harry.ubuntu at harry.lu
Mon Jan 24 10:12:24 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 02:49:07AM -0700, ANDY wrote:
> I'd expect if/when ISPs roll out IPv6 to residential customers, they'll
> focus on Windows/Mac -- but have virtually no Linux support (not to mention
> other platforms like web appliances).  Is the Ubuntu community working on a
> plan to make IPv6 for novices easy?

The way that it will (hopefully) work would be: your router's firmware
will be automatically updated to handle IPv6 (if possible), and that
your computer will automatically get an IPv6 address through Router
Advertisement. You shouldn't need to do much to set it up, once your ISP
tells you that it's ready.

The wiki has a decent guide on setting up (despite tunneled) IPv6 access
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IPv6>. It's not too difficult in my opinion for
an end-user to setup IPv6, though it is different/confusing the first
time. I am sure people here would help you once you've got it ready from
your ISP, if you get stuck!