I made a big mistake: dependency hell!

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 23:17:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 23:06, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
>>
>> I always use gdebi to install things that I get from sources other than
>> the repositories, such as virtualbox. I don't use it often but it seems
>> to make a decent attempt at resolving dependencies and installing the
>> extra packages.
>
> Thank you for the insight Dave but please do not hijack this thread to
> discuss best practices. I need this thread to remain coherent so that
> I might resolve this critical issue. Thanks.

What a ridiculous reply! He's suggesting a preventive measure for the
future so he's not hijacking anything!

In fact, he's pointed you at a solution; re-installing with a an
application that'll install the correct dependencies.

I know nothing about gdebi but I'd suggest that you set up
sources.list and apt.conf properly for maverick and natty with pinning
and re-install whatever you installed with dpkg with "apt-get -t natty
install package" or  "apt-get -t natty install --reinstall package" to
pull in the dependencies.