Mounting ISO

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Jan 23 15:10:00 UTC 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 22:42:42 +0800, A. Jorge Garcia <calcpage at aol.com>
wrote:

> Puppy users are root by default?  That's really odd!  Is there some way
> to use the SAGE binary as if it were an ISO instead?  I assume that the
> binary is meant to be used to install a dedicated server, right?  The
> problem is that I do not have extra hardware for that at the moment,
> although that probably should be my ultimate goal.  The only problem is
> that I've heard people telling some horror stories on the sage-edu,
> sage-support and sage-devel google groups when they didn't compile from
> source when installing a local SAGE server.
>  You know, that's one thing that I've found odd about Ubuntu as well.
> The user you create when installing Ubuntu is efffectively root.  At
> least you still have to provide a passwd to change any important
> settings.  However, for my student boxes, I had to make a bogus user
> account (shadowfax) and not give out the passwd as I do not want them to
> have root access.  This setup requires me to setup each box so it boots
> straight to the desktop without a login screen which I don't care for
> either, but its the lesser of 2 evils!

Jorge, as I said before, I've not used puppy for a long time and I hope I
am wrong in my comments and will be delighted if I am proven wrong.
However, just a recent look at some of puppy's own wiki pages,
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Security
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HiawathaServerMySQL and some more linux
publications http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7455536044.html
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/137880 (readers' comments here) will
give some indications of this weakness in puppy. Hope you'll go through
them before committing your system to it and if you're comfortable, by all
means go with it but at least you are aware of steps to be taken, at least
 from the second reference (and please let me know know I am wrong).

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.