Startup disk using a usb SanDisk 8gb Problem...

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 23 12:24:26 UTC 2011

On 23/01/2011 05:37, Larry Shields wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 08:14 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> *Hello BC,
>>>
>>> Yes I am using startup disc Creator, and on my BIOS settings of
>>> using USB-HDD
>>
>> It does depend on the brand/version of the BIOS but I think that you
>> will find that the flash disc should run with USB-ZIP setting -- but
>> as already suggested you may have to try them all.
>>
>>> from what the other fellow mentioned to try out I get this
>>> NTLDR is missing Press CTRL & ALT & Del to restart...So something
>>> there is wrong also...
>>>
>>> When I used disc Creator I moved the slider to the highest level,
>>> not sure if that is correct or not...I will try and format the whole
>>> 8gb's and try it once again...I also have looked on Ubuntu's Website
>>> about using the flash disc, but it did not work at all for me...
>>
>> Sorry, without actually starting the Creator up I don't remember a
>> slider nor what it does so cannot say if this right or not.
>>
>> But read, and follow, the URL I gave you on how to create a bootable
>> flash disc although the Creator should work perfectly as it did for
>> me. But as I said, the disc has to be formatted in msdos for the
>> loader to work.
>>

>>> Ok I also have it formated in FAT 32 so that I do...
>>>
>>> Sure it would be nice to have 16gb's, but I only have 8gb's so I
>>> just wanted to try it out first to see if I could get it too boot,
>>> but as of yet it is a no-go for me...
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply...
>>
>> No problem.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> BC
>>
> *Hello Basil,
>
> Well the BIOS is Phoenix Award 6.00PG, and I have tried using USB-FDD
> yet it then comes up saying, "this is not a bootable disk, please
> insert a bootable floppy"
>
> Now I have looked back to all of your postings on this issue, and the
> URL you never gave me, so please try sending it once again ok...
>
> Thanks for all of your help...
>
> Larry

The URL which I didn't send has to do with installing the OS on a 16GB
flash disc and it is:

http://superuser.com/questions/147619/install-persistent-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-on-16-gb-pen-drive

But the following one refers to Ubuntu 8 and the Disc Creator in
System>Administration really supercedes this but nevertheless the URL is:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-persistent-flash-drive-install-from-live-cd/

or use this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.