Mounting ISO

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Jan 23 12:06:57 UTC 2011

On 01/23/2011 07:13 AM, A. Jorge Garcia wrote:
>> Jorge, hold on first, you mentioned puppy linux.. my experience with
> puppy
>> is not so good, for a few good reasons, the one (out of many)
> pertinent to
>> you is that it chews up some partition for itself; some people call
> it the
>> 'swap', but I think it uses the chewed partition like the
> 'persistent-rw'
>> for keeping any changes. So I had not tried puppy for many years.
>
> Well, I do not usually use Puppy Linux, but the SAGE folks seem to like
> it.  I tried booting the CD a few times and it seems to work OK without
> messing up any existing partitions. I do have a 512MB swap partition on
> each box.  BTW, we have 25 dual-core 64bit Athlons.

As long as you do not 'save session' when shutting down, I think it will
be okay and puppy will not chew up your partition, but it is something
to watch out for.

Another more serious concern for you, as you let lots of others to
access your computer is that they will have access to your other
partitions and hard disks as well; and the fact that when they do that
with puppy, they are logged in effectively as root and I think it is
something which I will never find acceptable.

But Jorge, it is your system and your decision is therefore yours.

Regards - Goh Lip