vbox

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 23:12:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 01/22/2011 12:35 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com
> >wrote:

> >> You need to:
> >>
> >> wget -q
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
> >> -O-<
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc%0A-O->|
> sudo apt-key add -
> >>
> >> and then:
> >>
> >> sudo apt-get update
> >> sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.0
> >>
> >> As explained in:
> >>
> >> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
> >>
> >> Just it.
> >>
> >> L.
> >>
> >> I've added the repo, and the key, and done the update to the repo list.
> > Since the apt-get of vbox 4 is in the repo, it does not indicate whether
> > this version is the OSE or PUEL version. I know that in previous versions
> > there was a difference in functionality between them so I need to be sure
> > that the PUEL version is the one I maintain on my system. That was the
> > reason for the original question. Do you know if the version of
> virtualbox 4
> > in the repo is OSE or PUEL?
> > Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.
>
> What is the output of:
>
> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2
> and
> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
> and
> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose
>
> If you have the PUEL 4.0.x version you will see:
> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4
> N: Unable to locate package virtualbox-4
> gg at gg:~$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
> virtualbox-4.0:
>  Installed: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick
>  Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick
>  Version table:
>  *** 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~maverick 0
>        500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/
> maverick/contrib i386 Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> The 'http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/' indicates it was
> loaded from virtualbox & is the PUEL version.
>
> VB 4.0 is not yet available in the ose version from the Ubuntu repos:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose
> and the last 'apt-cache' policy command above will result in the
> following if you do not have the OSE version installed:
>
> $ apt-cache policy virtualbox-ose
> virtualbox-ose:
>  Installed: (none)
>  Candidate: 3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1
>  Version table:
>     3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1 0
>        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
> Packages

apt-cache policy results -
# apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.2
virtualbox-3.2:
   Installed: 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid
   Candidate: 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid
   Version table:
*** 3.2.12-68302~Ubuntu~lucid 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

# apt-cache policy virtualbox-4.0
virtualbox-4.0:
   Installed: None
   Candidate: 4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid
   Version table:
     4.0.2-69518~Ubuntu~lucid 0
         500 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ lucid/contrib
packages

>From this I can see that -
apt-cache policy is a good tool to know about and use;
It appears as though I can install 4.0 from synaptic which will also cause
the removal of 3.2;
version 4 in the repo is the PUEL version;

- Have you installed the extension pack from oracle for 4.0.2 as well?

Thanks much for the reply - and the information re: apt-cache policy!

Jack