Questions about VNC behavior in 10.04.1 LTS (upgrading/replacement of firewall/server system)

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 20:29:45 UTC 2011

Folks,

I was having problems upgrading my old system from 08.04 LTS (remember)...

I purchased a new system and have Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS installed and up to date. I
have also added some additional packages that are required to support my
environment. Everything seemed to function correctly until I tried to use VNC.

If a monitor is plugged into the system I am able to reach the new system from
one of my other machines. This is good. However, if I disconnect the monitor I
am unable to make a connection! The BIOS is set to ignore keyboard errors,
because the system will be HEADLESS in it's final configuration. So the presence
or absence of mouse and keyboard have no effect, just the monitor.

How do I enable a VNC connection without the monitor attached?

This is crucial to my environment. Both SSH and SFTP work either with or without
the monitor/mouse/keyboard attached.

The other interesting thing I have found is if the mouse settings are reversed
on the connecting system they function just the opposite on the target. If you
set it for normal right hand via the VNC connection it acts as a left hand
mouse. This is somewhat interesting but not a show stopper.

Ideas from and wisdom of the group would be welcomed. I am also going to start
some research and see what I can discover, because if VNC will not work on a
headless system I am not going to be able to proceed.

BTW I was able to successfully upgrade two systems from 08.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS
without problems.

Cheers,
Jay

--