what it takes to build "publican" from svn checkout for ubuntu

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jan 22 11:11:22 UTC 2011

  after a while away, i want to dive back into the publishing package
"publican" and build it from source to get the latest features.  it's
available for ubuntu, standard installable package, version 1.6.3, but
i want to play with the development version.  and i'm only one step
away, i think, so i'm hoping someone can help me out.

  i'm (sort of) following the instructions here:

https://fedorahosted.org/publican/wiki/Installing

checked the trunk out of subversion, then ran "perl ./Build.PL".
making a long story short, i resolved some missing bits with:

  $ sudo cpan File::Inplace (apparently no package for this)
  $ sudo apt-get install libxml-simple-perl libtemplate-perl

but here's the final issue:

Checking prerequisites...
 - ERROR: XML::TreeBuilder (3.09) is installed, but we need version >= 4
 - ERROR: XML::TreeBuilder (3.09) is installed, but we need version >= 4

at the moment, treebuilder 3.09 is the newest version of that perl
module package but the publican build clearly wants something even
more recent.

  what is the standard way to try to resolve this?  i *think* that's
the only thing standing in my way.  thanks for any info -- i'm not an
expert on messing with perl packages on ubuntu and i want to avoid
breaking anything.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca