Help...I have no panels

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Thu Jan 20 19:18:06 UTC 2011

On 01/20/2011 04:53 AM, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> can you open the menus, try pressing Alt+F1, it should open the
> application menu if it is there. if not, switch to a terminal
> (Ctrl+Alt+F1) log in, run
> sudo killall xorg
> this should stop your display manager (it might autamaticly restart,
> just keep running the command and init will block it) then try
> startx
> to restart your session
> Jacob Mansfield
> Programmer
there is no process named xorg
I am running on 10.10.  Does that make a difference?
Note that in my reply above, marked "resolved", I did manage to get my
panels back.  Now I just discovered that all of the items in the Places
menu on the top panel display a terminal now, rather than the
appropriate folder (with the exception of Computer).