wine and fonts

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Thu Jan 20 09:26:14 UTC 2011

Good evening
I am trying to set up Ubuntu 10.04 / 10.10 (both, on different
computers) and have already installed Wine in the hope to run some of
the software I cannot find anything comparative for Linux for.

Problem: I work with Japanese and some of the said software (like
dictionary readers etc.) uses a Japanese interface.
I installed that software and it does start, but all buttons, menu items
etc. are just rows of question marks. Input does not work either.
Reading the instructions it says there, that Wine (or Crossover too) are
"contained" within Linux with own (virtual) drives, fonts etc.
Referring to sites like:
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Fonts
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
http://cinnamonpirate.com/project/software/winelocale/
http://code.google.com/p/winelocale/
http://code.google.com/p/winelocale/wiki/AddLocalesToDebian

I learned, that you have to "load core fonts". Probably I have succeeded
in doing so, but that has no effect.
Most likely, because those core fonts do not include Japanese fonts.
The system itself (Ubuntu) allows me to use Japanese with no problems.

Can I just copy fonts from Ubuntu into the Wine environment?
Or does that require some of the highly sophisticated proceedures using
lots of commands that I do not know/understand?
Could copying fonts mess up the system?

Thank you in advance.