Installing around bad sectors

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 20 04:54:37 UTC 2011

On 20/01/2011 15:31, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Anthony Papillion<papillion at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So a part of my hard disk is basically toast. I don't thin it's a huge
>> area but at least some of it is. Right now, my local computer store is
>> telling me it will be 4-5 days before they can get a new one so I'm
>> thinking about reinstalling and working around the bad areas.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this? If I reinstall Ubuntu, can I tell it to route
>> around the bad sectors and not access them once the machine is in use? I
>> think the boot sector is bad.
>>
> If part of your disk went bad, chances are it is on its way to total
> failure.  You're asking for a lot of trouble if you continue to use
> it.

While I agree I'll add a couple of comments: all brand new HDs come with
bad sectors to begin with, and I have an HD which has been developing
bad sectors over the years but still works without a hassle :-) . The
bottom line here is, I guess, is to make sure that all important data is
backed-up in case of a sudden and catastrophic HD crash :-) .

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
                            Confucius