Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade **STATUS UPDATE**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 23:05:54 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:43:58 +0000
> From: Colin Law<clanlaw at googlemail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
> 	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Second System results of 8.04 LTS to 10.04.1 LTS Upgrade
> 	**MORE	PROBLEMS**
>
> On 16 January 2011 23:55, Jay Ridgley<jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>  wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> While my first system worked very well doing the upgrade from 8.04 LTS to
>> 10.04.1 LTS. I have hit another snag and for the life of me I can't seem to
>> get around it.
>>
>> The Upgrade attempts to download the packages and reports there is not
>> enough space available and quits. It says to run "apt-get clean" to free up
>> space. I did that and nothing happens. I have also gone though the installed
>> packages and purged those that I know I do not need for the system in
>> question. However that still did not yield enough space. Currently df shows
>> the following information:
>>
>> /dev/sda1 3944620 1K blocks on the device 2848000 blocks used which leaves
>> 897820 Available. The Update Manager wants some 1900MB more space!
>>
>> If I try to uninstall open-office (all of it, since I don't need it).
>> Synaptic says that the ubuntu desktop and several other packages will be
>> removed as well. Can I ignore those or will it cause serious problems?
>
> I don't think it is as serious as it sounds and it should be ok to
> uninstall OO.  Don't take me as authoritative on this however.  Can
> someone more knowledgeable confirm this?
>

>> The only other space on the physical drive is allocated to swap (it may be a
>> bit large but I doubt that it is that big. Top reports swap to be 240932k
>> total and currently shows 91840k free.
>
> Swap should only actually be used rarely.  Are you short of RAM also?
>

>> /home contains only 49420 blocks (as reported by du -s)
>>
>> How can I obtain the required amount of space?
>> --
>
> How big is your disk?  you really need a minimum of about 8Gig altogether.
> If overall disk space is the issue you may be able to get away with a
> re-install rather than an upgrade, but it sounds as if you may be
> pushing the machine to the limit.  Perhaps it is time for a hardware
> upgrade.
>
> Colin

Folks,

I have to admit that after several attempts to get this system upgraded to
10.04.1 LTS it is just not going to work.

So I have gotten a replacement for it that should enable me to operate for
several years.

I have also done some research and have discovered that I have a lot to learn
about the Debian Package Manager...

I have used "dpkg --get-selections > installed-software-list" to get a list of
installed packages that reside on my current system. I have also made a copy of
the /etc directory and have a backup of /home.

I also read that you can use the following to install the same packages on a new
system:

dpkg --set-selections < installed-software-list

followed by

deselect

To install the packages listed.

I have some remaining questions:

1. Where will dpkg get the packages to install? The new system is not running
Ubuntu and is not on the net.

2. Should I copy/backup anything else?

3. Will a custom install from an distribution CD (got it burned and it works) be
able to use the list from above?

Thanks,
Jay

--