Help...I have no panels - resolved(knock on wood)

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Wed Jan 19 19:30:04 UTC 2011

On 01/19/2011 12:41 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> After installing this mornings latest updates from Ubuntu, a restart
> was requested.  When the system rebooted, it had no panels.  I
> cntl-alt-deleted, then selected the failsafe option.  I now have a
> somewhat smaller image still without panels.  FWIW, I was messing
> around with Seahorse, keyrings et al yesterday.  What could I have
> possibly done to cause the loss of panels in both normal and failsafe
> modes.

Alt-F2 did not work
Only context menu worked, so I created a folder, then right clicked on
folder and selected open with gnome-terminal.
In terminal:
     killall gnome-panel
    gnome-panel
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    sudo shutdown -r now

On reboot it could not restore the Force Quit Button, so I re-added it
in the panel context menu.

I still would like to know how the panels were deleted.