Firefox4 Beta plugins (again)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 19 03:30:47 UTC 2011

On 01/17/2011 03:52 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On Sunday the 16th Goh Lip was kind enough to give me some instructions
> on how to get plugins recognized in the Firefox4 beta.  I did what he
> suggested but they still don't appear in about:plugins.  I think the
> problem was I didn't install it where he assumed I did and I then got
> the symlink wrong.
>
> I am using Maverick amd64 and I downloaded the tar file from the mozilla
> site and extracted it to my home directory. So it is at
> /home/jfb/firefox. The Canonical version is in it's default location.
>
> Could someone post the command to create the symlink needed given this info?

No symlink is required or should be used:

1. Download the 64 bit version from here:
<http://nightly.mozilla.org/>
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-4.0b10pre.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2>

2. Delete whatever you have in /home/jfb/firefox, or create a new
folder: /home/jfb/Firefox4 and copy the
firefox-4.0b10pre.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2 there. Go to the folder,
right-click the bz2 and select 'extract here'. Go to
/home/jfb/Firefox4/firefox and double-click on 'firefox' and then run.
If you already have other versions of FF installed they will be used
from your standard ~/.mozilla folder.

Mine:

<Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0b10pre)
Gecko/20110118 Firefox/4.0b10pre>

Enabled plugins
Veetle TV Core

    File: /home/../.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libveetle-core-plugin.so
    Version:
    Version 0.9.17 Veetle TV Core, Copyright 2006-2007 Veetle Inc.
    http://www.veetle.com

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
Picasa

    File: /opt/google/picasa/3.0/lib/npPicasa3.so
    Version:
    Picasa plugin

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
DivX Browser Plug-In

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so
    Version:
    Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.4

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so
    Version:
    Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
application/x-quicktimeplayer 	Quicktime 	mov
RealPlayer 9

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so
    Version:
    Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
Windows Media Player Plug-in

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so
    Version:
    Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/gecko-mediaplayer.so
    Version:
    Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
Player streams using MPlayer

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 2.32.0)

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-cone-plugin.so
    Version:
    The Totem 2.32.0 plugin handles video and audio streams.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
    Version:
    The Totem 2.32.0 plugin handles video and audio streams.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
DivX® Web Player

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-mully-plugin.so
    Version:
    DivX Web Player version 1.4.0.233

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
video/divx 	AVI video 	divx
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
    Version:
    The Totem 2.32.0 plugin handles video and audio streams.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
video/x-m4v 	MPEG-4 video 	m4v
iTunes Application Detector

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
    Version:
    This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes
Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
application/itunes-plugin
IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.9.2 (6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu2))

    File: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
    Version:
    The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.9.2
(6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu2)) executes Java applets.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
a...
Shockwave Flash

    File: /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    Version:
    Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
Adobe Reader 9.4

    File: /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.nppdf.so
    Version:
    The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF
files from within the browser.

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes
VLC Multimedia Plug-in

    File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
    Version:
    Version 1.1.4 The Luggage, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Team
    http://www.videolan.org/

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes