Too wide of a screen

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Jan 18 22:00:54 UTC 2011

On 01/18/2011 04:34 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
> On 01/17/2011 01:21 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 07:57 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have just completed upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04
>>> and now I have a few problems.
>>>
>>> This first problem is that with my resolution set
>>> to 1024x768 as I normally have it, the screen is
>>> too wide and runs off the left side. My
>>> applications menu on the top tool bar is almost
>>> completely out of sight as it runs off the screen
>>> on the left side.

/snip/
> OK, I tried that, and there was no change. I'm wondering if nvidia's
> driver thinks that I am running a different sized monitor than the 15
> inch TFT LCD Jetway I have?
>
> The nvidia settings dialog reports my screen size as being 313 x 232
> millimeters, which I have no way of measuring to verify as I have no
> metric rules to use.
>
> It also reports a resolution of 83 x 84 dots per inch, which I am not
> sure of either.
>
> Is there any way to change the size reported above to see if the
> screen shrinks down to the correct size?
>
> I know from previous experience that this monitor does not correctly
> report it's data. I used some of the tools I found in Ubuntu to query
> the monitor's information, and it always told me that the monitor was
> not returning the information.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

To convert from millimeters to inches, divide by 25.4.  Doing this says
the screen is just over 15" diagonal, which is what you say you have.
The conversion also shows that the resolution is ~ 1020 x 760, which is
realistic for a small screen in 4 x 3 proportion, which is what the
screen proportion calculates to--the older (better) screen proportion.
It sounds like you have a driver problem--maybe the wrong one, or maybe
you are sending it the wrong information.  If there are any manual setup
abilities, now is the time to utilize them.

--doug