Problem during upgrade from 08.04 LTS to 19.04.1 LTS **HELP**

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jan 15 07:54:32 UTC 2011

On 01/15/2011 02:24 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Jay Ridgley<jridgley2 at austin.rr.com>  wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am attempting to upgrade one of my systems from 08.04 LTS (all updates
>> have been applied). However, after completing the download (1702 files) the
>> following message appears:
>>
>> Error during commit.
>> E:Couldn't configure pre-depend jre for openoffice.org-writer2latex,
>> probably a dependence cycle.'
>> Restoring original system state.
>>
>> How should I proceed? Google does not seem to have a solution, there are
>> several reports...
>>
> I've heard that upgrading more than one release is a bad idea,
> especially with Ubuntu.  When I was using CentOS, I would only update
> within a single release (i.e., release 4, then release 5), but from
> one major release to another it was installation time.
>
> Ubuntu is different, of course, but I think the jump you're making -
> four release cycles all at once - is probably the same level of risk
> (and possibly insanity :-).
>
> I would recommend backing up your non-system files, removing all
> configuration files and then install 10.04.1 (or 10.10, if you're up
> to it) fresh and reconfigure what you need to reconfigure.
>
> If you're stuck on doing upgrades, you're also kind of stuck with the
> stumbling blocks you hit along the way.
>
> Good luck.

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 several months ago, and while I admit that I
haven't used it that much (I'm running a different Linux most of the
time) I never had any trouble with it.  I just post this in reply to some
recent emails that said folks were having a lot of trouble.  I don't know
what I did right, or they are doing wrong, just making an observation.
And, for the record, I did it with a new install, not an upgrade.  Maybe
that's the difference.

--doug