Problem during upgrade from 08.04 LTS to 19.04.1 LTS **HELP**

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 07:24:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am attempting to upgrade one of my systems from 08.04 LTS (all updates
> have been applied). However, after completing the download (1702 files) the
> following message appears:
>
> Error during commit.
> E:Couldn't configure pre-depend jre for openoffice.org-writer2latex,
> probably a dependence cycle.'
> Restoring original system state.
>
> How should I proceed? Google does not seem to have a solution, there are
> several reports...

I've heard that upgrading more than one release is a bad idea,
especially with Ubuntu.  When I was using CentOS, I would only update
within a single release (i.e., release 4, then release 5), but from
one major release to another it was installation time.

Ubuntu is different, of course, but I think the jump you're making -
four release cycles all at once - is probably the same level of risk
(and possibly insanity :-).

I would recommend backing up your non-system files, removing all
configuration files and then install 10.04.1 (or 10.10, if you're up
to it) fresh and reconfigure what you need to reconfigure.

If you're stuck on doing upgrades, you're also kind of stuck with the
stumbling blocks you hit along the way.

Good luck.