Firefox & tmpfs

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 13 21:28:29 UTC 2011

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On Tue, January 11, 2011 23:37, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>>> The Firefox cache is stored in the browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
>>> (see about:cache and about:config)
>>> Browsing history, saved tabs, etc are saved in sqlite files in the
>>> Firefox
>>> profile directory. These don't get wiped.
>> I was assuming the user would sym link their entire ~/.firefox directory
>> to tmpfs, in which case everything would go on a reboot. Of course, if
>> they only sym link the cache, then only that is lost.
>
> Moving the Firefox cache to tmpfs is a well known hack for netbook hackers
> (at least it's described on the wiki, so that makes it well known). There
> is no need to symlink, you only change the value of
> browser.cache.disk.parent_directory in about:config so that it points to
> your tmpfs mount point.

So what the OP wants to do is covered by these instructions, right?
http://ubuntuguide.net/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-cache-into-ram-in-ubuntu

 From that page:
"...
1.Edit /etc/fstab,open terminal from Applications->Accessories menu and
type:
     sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Add following into this file and close it.
     tmpfs /tmp tmpfs noexec,defaults,noatime 0 0
     tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs noexec,defaults,noatime 0 0

2.Edit /etc/sysctl.conf:
     sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

add this line and save it:
     vm.swappiness=1

3.
Type about:config in firefox address bar and click I'll be careful,I
promise!.Right click on blank area and create a new string value called
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory,set its value to /tmp

Now,reboot your system and experience the performance..."

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

  - from some guy in the internet.