Time zone or other timing issue in OpenJDK under 10.04

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:25:21 UTC 2011

I recently updated from 9.10 to 10.4.1 LTS, and at the same time switched
from Sun Java to OpenJDK.

A java-based VPN app (Juniper Networks) that I use to connect to my office's
network isn't working right. It's coming really close (where it's never
worked with OpenJDK in the past), but after starting successfully, I get an
immediate "Session Timeout" dialog and the application quits, as if I had
been idle for 30 minutes.

When I've had trouble like this in other situations, it's always been a time
zone issue, so I looked into that. It turns out that Java has indeed had
time zone issues with Linux in the past (see
http://www.minaret.biz/tips/timezone.html) but I checked (with the java
program included in that link) and it appears that my java install is
inheriting the default time zone properly.

Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts on how to approach it?

Here are my java installed packages, in case it helps:

cacao-source - Source for CACAO, a Java virtual machine
default-jdk - Standard Java or Java compatible Development Kit
default-jdk-doc - Standard Java or Java compatible Development Kit
(documentation)
default-jre - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime
default-jre-headless - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless)
freemind - Java Program for creating and viewing Mindmaps
icedtea-6-jre-cacao - Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Cacao
icedtea6-plugin - web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute
Java applets
openjdk-6-dbg - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (debugging symbols)
openjdk-6-demo - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (demos and examples)
openjdk-6-doc - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) documentation
openjdk-6-jdk - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK)
openjdk-6-jre - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
openjdk-6-jre-headless - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
openjdk-6-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent
libraries)
openjdk-6-source - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) source files
openjdk-6-jre-zero - Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Zero/Shark

Thanks,
Matt