connecting to a server

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 17:45:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:
> I would be willing to give FTP a try but I haven't had the need to use it.
>  What must I do?  Presumably I have to set up my server some way and then
> what must be done on the client side?

Other people have given some suggestions which are as good or better
than using FTP, but the easiest way to use FTP is to install something
like PureFTPD (sudo apt-get install pure-ftpd), which uses Unix logins
and home directories by default. You can then FTP to the server, log
in with your Linux user id and password, and get/put files. Note
though that some clients (I'm looking at you, Windows Default FTP
Client) die after transferring 4GB of a file. As A Jorge Garcia
pointed out, though, a 64-bit Linux should have no trouble with a
large file.

Chris Angelico