create a boot-able disk from an iso file

Tobias Göller tobias at scnr.ch
Wed Jan 12 15:52:01 UTC 2011

Hi Joep,

On 11.01.2011, at 23:23, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> ZenWiz,
> Please, show me one!

Maybe we should be more precise. I've seen various flavours of trojans on linux (as well as on other unices). I have seen viruses on Linux as well.

> There are so many claims of viruses for Linux but I never saw one  and I'm working with Unix since 1978 and with Linux since 1992. Of course there are methods to enter Unix/Linux systems but gain access to root - which is a necessity for doing serious damage - is IMO only possible due to neglect by the owner (e.g. using root as his main user).

Isn't this the case with all OSs?

Sorry, the problem simply is that most users do not at all know what they're doing. Not using a firewall ist just one of the things you're going to see when having to debug "friend's" computers.

> Even planting malware like key-grabbers can only be achieved when Linux users are careless or help from the inside is given. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure, with a top-notch up-to-date system you're relatively unlikely to run into problems... and yes, open-source has a clear advantage here over closed-source (IMHO).

But, honestly: Who is using Linux / Unix? Those aren't the users who have no clue about nothing. Windows is - almost likely - preinstalled on any box you buy. Installing Linux means that at least you had to make a choice...

Tobias

--
E = M * C^2 +/- 3db